Pumpernickel

Thursday 19 April 2012
Yum


It's been a while since I've posted about a bread loaf.

So here's one.  On Sunday we popped into Wellington Country Farm Shop, a shop just off the A33 between Reading and Basingstoke.  It seems to have expanded since the last time I went there, when I struggled to find anything to buy.  Admittedly, it was pre-breadmaker days and so I wasn't looking for flour then!

I'm pleased to see that they stock a really good variety of Wessex Mill flours.  I've mentioned Wessex Mill before, mostly because of their onion bread mix.  The other farm shop I frequent, on the other side of Reading doesn't offer quite so much choice.  As a result of two farm shop visits recently I may have managed to buy five bags of flour recently.  Oops (or 'a-daisy' in my son's words).

This is the first of these, a pumpernickel mix, containing rye flour, wheat flour, kibbled rye, caraway seeds and latic acid (added to give the bread a slightly sour taste according to Wessex Mill).

The jury is still out for me on this one.  I'm not entirely sure I like the slightly sour taste and caraway seeds are one of those foods that I can never quite decide if I like or not.

It's different anyway.

I've got a few things planned for the next few weeks - a cannelloni recipe I found from another blog, soda bread and Shepherdless pie, so hopefully I'll be back soon!
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |