Cannellini Bean Goulash

Wednesday 23 April 2014
Yum
It's back to preschool this week for D - although he's had a couple of days in over the Easter anyway.  Time to share an old recipe.

Recently, I've been delving back into some of those recipes that I made a lot in the past but haven't visited for a while, as I've been burying myself in the cornucopia of blogs available out there, pins I've discovered on Pinterest and recipes in new cookbooks.

This is one of those recipes.  It's one that goes down well with D - he is a massive fan of noodles as he really enjoys 'swirly-whirlying' (or at least getting me to do it...)  Once again, he tends to skirt around the mushrooms but as he likes beans, he doesn't complain too much.

It's a meal that can be knocked up pretty quickly and is almost store cupboard based - you could probably substitute the mushrooms for a different type of beans.



Stats: - 2 adult servings, 2 child servings.  Less than half an hour cook time.

1tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
150g button mushrooms finely sliced (you could use a full punnet but I always end up eating a few while preparing!)
2 tins of cannellini beans drained (about 480g)
4 tbsps tomato pureé
300g vegetable stock
1/2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp caraway seeds
1 bay leaf
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp paprika

Gently fry the onion and garlic in the oil for 7 minutes, until they go translucent.  I didn't have a white onion this time but a red one was fine.

Add all of the other ingredients.  Stir.  Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf.

Serve over noodles or alongside mashed potato.

And here I feel I should confess the truth of these photos.  Whilst I've successfully made this recipe, as described here, a lot of times, this time, a slip of the cayenne pepper made for a particularly hot meal.  D didn't enjoy this spicy option and ended up with noodles and a fish finger instead.  Not my finest evening!  However, he does love it when it's not so hot!
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |