Week 1 - cookbook challenge: The World Food Cafe Vegetarian Bible

Wednesday 18 March 2015
Yum
I have a lot of cookbooks.  It's a fairly fail safe present for me as I like to cook something new every week.  I realised the other day how many of my books I haven't used, or I go back to the old favourites, or slight adaptations of other meals I already make.

So I've decided to try and push out of my comfort zone.

So I took to my instagram account and asked my followers to give me a page number for the World Food Cafe Vegetarian Bible.  It's a good book that I've made a couple of things from before - although it is pretty light on timings.

(Image from www.telegraph.co.uk)

From the choices I had, Michelle from ShellLouise was the 'winner', picking page 168 and a cauliflower and pea masala.

It was my first time using ghee.  Although it's something that appears in many of the recipes I've made in the past I've just used butter.  It was really interesting using ghee - it melts so quickly and so clearly!  I made some substitutions to prevent needing to buy lots of ingredients.  I used chilli flakes rather than whole dried chillies, fenugreek powder rather than seeds and powdered ginger rather than grated fresh.


It doesn't quite have the colours of the picture (but when does it ever?) but it did have the flavours.  It's definitely one I'd make again as it's quick - really only taking a little longer than the time to cook the cauliflower.

Next week's challenge will come from How to Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson.  This has 363 pages - I'd love it if you popped over to this instagram post and gave me a number... or if you really aren't an instagrammer, pop me a comment here.
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |