Sunday soup: Aubergine parmigiana

Sunday 15 December 2013
Yum
This week has begun to feel like we are heading towards Christmas - D had his nativity play (he was a tubby snowman), I had my staff do and I got a fair bit of Christmas shopping done.  More good news in that I lost another half lb this week.  Not bad when I'm being rigid in the week and a little more lax at the weekend.  In total, that's now 30lbs.  I've lost nearly 20% of my bodyweight.  The jeans are getting a bit loose again - which would be three sizes of jeans I've gone through since May...

So, on to this week's soup.

When I came across this recipe a couple of months ago I knew that it was one that I wanted to make soon.  It seemed perfect - one of my favourite meals made much easier and in soup form.  In it's original, it's a little high in terms of propoints but as ever, I've changed it a little bit and it still tastes good and makes lunchtimes just a bit more exciting.



Stats: - 6 servings, 2 propoints per serving

Ingredients:
3 large shallots
 (or two medium onions)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 large aubergines, chopped
2 cans of chopped plum tomatoes
80g frozen breadcrumbs (I blitzed up some remaining ends of loaves and froze them - meaning I can use just a bit here and there)
40g parmesan grated
a large handful of basil, shredded

Mist a large pan with spray oil and get to a medium heat.  Add the shallots and garlic and stir, being careful not to let the onions catch and burn.  Allow to sweat for around six minutes until the shallots begin to go clear.  Add the aubergine and cook for eight to ten minutes, waiting for the aubergine to be warmed through and begin to break down.  Make sure that you stir, although the aubergine will reeled a little water as they cook.

Add the tomatoes and a can full of water.  Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to simmer for five minutes.  Add the breadcrumbs and stir through, heat for two or three minutes to cook the breadcrumbs.

Remove from the heat, stir through the parmesan and basil and puree.  I found that I didn't quite want to take it to smooth - slightly chunky was very nice.

I hope you've had a good weekend!
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |