Shocking pink pasta two ways

Tuesday 2 June 2015
Yum
Ack, it's difficult sometimes - trying to get all of the boxes ticked.  Meals in the house in half term have to tick the following boxes: -

[] Can I make it for under 14 propoints a portion and not feel ridiculously hungry if I give myself that portion?
[] Can I ensure that it features full fat everything, no/low salt or sugar and that it is holdable for Roo?
[] Is it something that will appeal to both Mr K and D?
[] Can I find meals that don't always feature tinned tomatoes?

As a further explanation - I think that Roo is a little sensitive to tomatoes - D was too when he was little.  Mr K will not have obvious egg (so fine in cakes but not as a main ingredient) and isn't that keen on mushrooms and D has a rather short list of ingredients that he'll tolerate at the moment.  With this in mind, I was surprised when he asked me if we could make shocking pink pasta again.

Although reminding myself of the ingredients, my positive response sank without trace.  Whipping cream?  Nuts?  Enough pasta to sink a dinghy?

So for once, I realised that I'd have to make two versions of the same dish.  One for the kids and the husband and one for me.  I had decided that I wasn't going to do that this time around - I'm beginning to be of the opinion that the low fat and edited versions of foods aren't necessarily the most healthy as they can often have odd stuff put in them.  However, changing from whipping cream to half fat crème fraîche saved me three propoints, so I took that hit.  This went down fairly well - Roo ate all of hers, D had a reasonable amount of his and I didn't feel too let down by the less calorific version.


Stats: - 15 propoints for the WW recipe.  I could have made it 13 and had 20g less of the pasta but I could afford the points.  I need to tweak the sauce quantities on this - there was a bit too much of it!

Ingredients: -
340g beetroot, peeled and cut into cubes
320g pasta
200g whipping cream
60g half fat crème fraîche
20g ground almonds
45g walnut pieces
2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
one tablespoon of dried dill
one bashed garlic clove

Cook pasta according to pack instructions.  This should have been made with spaghetti but it worked quite well with casarecce pasta.

In a blender, whizz up the beetroot, almonds, cumin seeds, dill and garlic clove.  Remove a quarter of the mixture and place in a separate bowl.  Mix the whipping cream into the three quarters and the crème fraîche into the quarter mixture.  Separate out a quarter of the pasta and mix through the quarter beetroot mixture.  Mix through the three quarters beetroot beetroot mixture into the rest of the pasta.  Heat through both.

Dry fry the walnut pieces.

Serve up.  Propointed version for dieter.  Adults and children who can deal with small pieces of walnut over the top.  Baby-led weaning version without.


The dieter's version


The BLW version


 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |