Green Giant Minions

Thursday 18 June 2015
Yum
A slightly late post from me this week.  I've been posting on Tuesdays for ages but this last week has been hard work.  I have a week left until my extra work is all done and then only a few more weeks until I go back to work.  Only for a couple of weeks until the summer holidays but it still feels very strange.  Roo started crawling this week!  It's a very odd kind of crawl that isn't at all efficient but it can get her where she wants to go, so that's fine.  D is heading towards the end of foundation year at an alarming rate.  I find it hard to fathom him being in year one in a few months.


So, there's a new Minions film on its way.  D is very excited.  I might be a little excited too - who doesn't love those little yellow people with their strange language? D used to be so obsessed with Minion Run that he'd run along the pavement collecting bananas and bashing into bins.  Oops.  Anyway, as part of the run up to the film Green Giant set the #greengiantminion challenge and sent me some sweetcorn to make something minion inspired... and so I did.

Sweetcorn and courgette fritters are a bit of a favourite in our house.  They are eaten by everyone without moaning and I felt that adapting these would be perfect for this.  I took out the courgette from the base mix and doubled the sweetcorn.  Otherwise I kept it pretty similar.

Serves: two adults, one five year old and one baby - I do need to work on scaling this up soon!

two teaspoons of butter
one courgette, cut into medium slices about half the length of a thumbnail
100g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
one egg
150ml semi-skimmed or whole milk (I use whole for Roo)
200g can of sweetcorn, drained, excess moisture blotted with kitchen towel
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
a handful of blueberries for decoration


First of all, fry the courgette slices in the butter.  This should take about ten minutes.  Make sure to turn these over during cooking to ensure both sides are cooked.  Set to one side on a piece of kitchen towel.

Make the fritters by mixing all of the other ingredients together (bar the blueberries).  Whisk to avoid lumps.  Using crumpet rings, place two, or one piece of courgette in the bottom and cover about half way up the ring with the fritter batter.  Cook on a medium heat on one side for about four minutes - until the top begins to solidify.  Flip over and cook on the other side - this will only need a couple of minutes.  You may notice that mine went a little over...

Place the fritter on the plate and top with halved blueberries for the eyes and either quartered or halved blueberries for the mouths.

Jury is out for me a little bit as to whether or not they look better 3d as in the top left and bottom right or with the courgette inside.  I did the ones with courgette outside mostly for D who was in a bit of a funny mood and would have rejected them if he couldn't easily extract them.

They are not quite right but as a first attempt at food art, I'll take them.


Disclaimer: Green Giant sent me sweetcorn to use in recipe/food art development.  
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |