Sunday soup: Carrot and lentil soup

Sunday 8 September 2013
Yum
This week has been all about getting back - getting back into the diet after quite a few visits to various eating establishments in Bristol, getting back into the routine of very early mornings (6.30 in the KneadWhine household) and getting back into the packing of various bags the night before.

Some things, with the new academic year, have been different though.  This year, D has moved up to pre-school.  This is still at the same setting as his nursery but it feels so much different.  He's wearing a uniform for a start.  We also now need to consider all kinds of things - organising things for Show and Tell and PE kit as well as making sure that the uniform is clean every day.  Weeny boy is a little short for the 3-4 year old outfit - I'm just glad there aren't trousers as he's only just moved up to 18-24 month in those.  He's also been exhausted this week and a little bit naughty.  I'm sure this will pass once he's back into it though.  Re-adjusting is always difficult.

First day at pre-school!


The other thing that's changed is my days.  Last year I worked Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.  This year I've got Monday-Wednesday.  Long weekend but I imagine the three days together will be a bit more of a slog for both D and I.  I'm excited for it though.

The next thing that occurs to me is contacting the local primary schools to find out about open days.  Erk.  Considering school for D?  A little disconcerting.


In terms of the diet, the last fortnight has been kinder to me than I suspected.  I was told off a little for not attending last week to check out where I was but I knew I'd find the gain demotivating.  Much better to get back and discover that I'd lost 1.5lbs.  5lbs left to go and right now, I'm officially the lowest weight I've been as an adult.

Can I find anything that I like in the shops though?  A whole long attempt to find some clothes led to the purchase of one pair of black trousers.  Pfft.

Anyway - you're here for the soup, right?

Here's this week's culinary delight: -

Carrot and lentil soup: -
Stats: - six servings, 2 propoints each

Carrot and lentil soup
20g butter
2 red onions, finely diced
1 celery stick, finely diced
1.5 teaspoons cumin powder
300g carrot, finely diced
100g red lentils
1.2l vegetable stock made with two OXO cubes
black pepper

Melt the butter in a large stock pan.  Add the celery and onions and sweat over a medium heat for about five minutes, until the onions go translucent.  Don't allow to brown.  Add the cumin and stir through, coating the vegetables.  Add the carrots and cook for a further five minutes.

Add the lentils, mix through and then the hot vegetable stock.  Bring to a boil and simmer for half an hour at a medium head.

Garnish with a good dose of freshly ground black pepper.

Weekly plan: -

Monday - Ready to go porridge (6pp), Beetroot and chive soup (1pp), Graze Mississippi BBQ pistachios (3pp), 40g pasta, 1/2 jar of Dolmio sauce, 100g Quorn mince and 2 teaspoons parmesan (10pp)

Tuesday - Alpen ready to go porridge (6pp), beetroot and chive soup (1pp), Graze marvellous macaroon (4pp), Waitrose Italian roast mushroom risotto (12pp)

Wednesday - Quaker ready to go porridge pot (6pp), beetroot and chive soup (1pp), Grazy fiery seeds (5pp), Cheat's red Thai curry with coconut rice (11pp)

Thursday - Graze Walnut and pecan porridge (3pp), 1 serving skimmed milk (1pp), 125g Waitrose spinach and ricotta ravioli with 75g Dolmio med veg stir-in sauce (9pp).  Maybe an M&S stoneground garlic bread (7pp)

Friday - Graze apple and cinnamon porridge (2pp), 1 serving skimmed milk (1pp), a slightly different attempt at broccoli and sriracha spring rolls (7pp), 40g noodles (4pp), some kind of sauce, undecided!
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |