Sunday soup: pumpkin, apple and sage

Sunday 13 October 2013
Yum
This weekend has involved a hen do!  Hurrah!  This also means that there is a wedding to follow soon. Double hurrah!


Cocktail making class at Thirst in Soho.  This was a Long Island Iced Tea.  


This was a martini, made by my own fair hand.  Just before, there was a shot of prosecco in that shot glass.  

I've chickened out of getting weighed this week - I know that the week I've had has led to undoing the previous week's work.  So I'll be back next week with a more honest update.  Maybe.  The next few weeks might be a little tricky - a hen do, an eight course taster menu, the wedding I mentioned and very possibly a few days in Paris (including Disneyland!) if Mr K and I can get ourselves sorted...

I have been seeing pumpkin recipes on most of the foodie blogs I follow in the last couple of weeks and decided to jump on the bandwagon.  This involves a little bit of time but not too much effort - one of the best kinds of soup (and next week's will involve very little time and very little effort - the very best kind!).  This was a soup that disappeared almost quicker than I put it on the table.  D was also quite amused by the name - I don't know if he's had pumpkin before.

Stats: 5 servings (depending on the size of the pumpkin), 1pp per serving


10g butter
one shallot, finely diced
one medium pumpkin, cut into quarters
15g olive oil
one cooking apple, diced
700ml veg stock (depends on the size of the pumpkin...)
8 sage leaves

Preheat the oven to gas mark 8.  Brush the pumpkin with the olive oil.  Tear up the sage leaves and place on top of the quarters.  Roast the pumpkin for 40 minutes.  Check on it a few times.

When it's done, leave to cool.  You should be able to almost tear off the skin, although you may need to peel it a little.

In a large pan, melt the butter and fry the shallots for six/seven minutes on a medium heat - be careful not to burn.

Add the pumpkin, sage and vegetable stock.  Bring to the boil and then simmer for ten minutes.  Add the apple and cook for a further five minutes.

Blend until smooth.  Season to taste (with a lot of freshly ground pepper if you're me).  Also good with a dusting of freshly grated nutmeg.

I'll be submitting this to Tinned Tomatoes' No Crouton's Required competition.
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |