Guest post from Swazi from Chocolate is not the Only Fruit

Wednesday 18 June 2014
Yum
Today, I'm very pleased to have had a guest post from Swazi of Chocolate is not the Only Fruit who is sharing some of her recent dining out.  I love the sound of the peanut butter cheesecake!  She writes: -

I was very lucky to eat out twice this weekend and both times it was very reasonable and tasty food.

On Saturday I went to the theatre for a matinee with my friend so beforehand we went for lunch at Smollenskys on the Strand which I've not been to before, but she has fond memories of from childhood visits with her late father. It has changed somewhat in the years since then, but it's still a very smart looking place to get a bite to eat pre-theatre. Not least as it's so close to theatreland in London. I would recommend it for those in a hurry as the food was brought to us quickly and it was presented well. It wasn't busy when we ate there at 2pm on a Saturday, but I can imagine it is popular in the evening.
Cobb Salad with a punch
The menu is extensive with mostly American style dishes so I considered the Mushroom burger for my main but settled on a Cobb salad that I'd tried before in America, but this was very different. It was quite a light dish with the punch of blue cheese - the addition of blue cheese dressing was too much for me though. I did feel it could have done with a side, so when my friend left some of her fries I hoovered those up. She had a burger that was enormous - and unwieldy to eat really - so I had an idea of how big the veggie option might have been had I ordered it. The wine list is extensive so I had a lovely glass of white wine with my meal and a peanut butter cheesecake that was so good I ate it before I remembered to take a photo - sorry !

Then on Sunday we to a place local to us called Coombe Lodge. It's an old house that has been converted into a hotel and restaurant and as it was Father's day we took Hubbie there for a spot of brunch. He enjoys the full English breakfast and as our son eats free he enjoys having sausages and hash browns with beans. I went for a continental breakfast with the addition of a two egg omelette that looked like it had been made in a pan with a scalloped edge as it had a pretty frilly look to it.
A perfect brunch for a hungry veggie
As you can see from the photo I had started to tuck in then thought I'd share it with you so apologies for half chewed toast and partly demolished omelette, but it was really very good. It reminded me how much I love eggs and the simplicity of a well made omelette.

Not exactly culinary highlights I know, but the food was good and decently priced. All in all a good weekend for veggie eats :)


Thanks Swazi!  Both look lovely - I'm not so keen on the blue cheese, I'd dig right in to the omelette.  If reading this has made you think that you might want to get on the guest post wagon, please get in touch.  

 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |