Mushroom and tomato risotto

Tuesday 23 August 2011
Yum
I am a fan of mushrooms.  This is well documented.  Therefore, when I came across a recipe for hot tomato risotto and had some spare mushrooms lying around, it made sense to me to add the two together.  Although I like experimenting, this is a firm favourite, a recipe that I turn to about every four-six weeks.  It's one that Little D is normally a fan of and it's one I almost know by heart.  It's also a recipe that I tend to have all of the ingredients for - bar the mushrooms which I feel ought to have been bought a day or two before.

Ingredients - splash of olive oil, one finely chopped onion, two finely chopped de-seeded birdseye chillies*, one crushed garlic clove, 250g arborio rice, tin of chopped tomatoes, 900ml vegetable stock, lots of button mushrooms, 30g of butter, three tablespoons of parmesan, teaspoon of parsley.

Step 1 - bung the oil, onion and garlic into the pan. Over a medium heat, allow to soften for around seven minutes.











Step 2 - add the chilli.  I normally use a couple of medium chillies.  I warn you that this option made it quite hot - in fact, too hot for the littlest.  However, for non-tinies, it was a good strong heat.









   Step 3 - Add the rice.  Cook for a further minute, mixing all of the ingredients together.










Step 4 - add the mushrooms and tinned tomatoes.  Keep an eye on it - I've managed to burn at this stage before.  That rice is thirsty.










Step 5 - over a high heat, start to add the vegetable stock a bit at a time, allowing the rice to absorb it each time.  As you can see - the mixture is bubbling here.

It should take around twenty minutes for the stock to be entirely absorbed by the rice.  The rice should be al dente.




This is what I was left with after all the stock was absorbed.










Step 6 - add the parmesan, butter and parsley.  Mix through.  Season - obviously skipping the salt for the tiny ones.









This is the final result - two slightly large adult portions and a baby portion.











I enjoyed this meal with this bottle of wine.  A really rather pleasant fruity red.  We've been making our way through the reds on offer in the Sainsbury's House selection and so far, this is the favourite.

I also can't help but share the fact that I made home-made onion bhajis this evening.  I can't share the recipe as it belongs to The Spicery but what I can say is that I'm loving the new recipes and new spices I'm discovering as a result.  I've currently got a three month subscription but I'm fairly sure I'll be renewing it.
 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |