Sunday Soup: Carrot and Coriander

Sunday 16 June 2013
Yum
A couple of weeks ago we had a pleasurable day wandering around Clifton, checking out the small boutiques and sitting in the sunshine outside 194degrees with a cappuccino and watching other people similarly lazing from one shop to the next.  My favourite place, by miles, was the grocer's shop - Reg the Veg.  

Reg the Veg is everything a good grocer's should be - filled to the rafters with a range of produce, including samphire, something that's proved elusive.  Filling my arms with a variety of vegetables was only halted by my son's arrival to the shop, declaring to all that would listen that it was "cake time!".  

One of my other finds was a banana shallot - larger than my phone!  These were the start for this week's soup.  They were also a little sneaky as I managed to convince D to try a little bit - he claims that he doesn't like onions but was perfectly happy with this.  




This week's soup was carrot and coriander.  A variation on a particularly basic version I've made before.  My mistake was probably in going for the lazy carrot batons which always taste a little watery.  I need to find a good grocer in Reading I think.  

Ingredients: - 
20g butter
1 finely chopped banana shallot
600g carrot batons
800ml vegetable stock
Fresh nutmeg gratings - about a tablespoon
150ml single cream
handful of fresh coriander

Method: - 
Melt the butter and gently cook the shallot for around 6-8 minutes on a medium heat.  Add the carrot batons, vegetable stock and nutmeg.  Bring to the boil and then cook for ten minutes at a simmer.  
Add the coriander and blend.
Add the single cream, feeling free to create all kinds of cheffy looking designs that are quickly obliterated when mixed through.  

Makes six 2pp servings.





Husband was a fan - he's got a little bit bored of the recent spate of green soups.  D is keen for me to provide him with a green soup again next week and he'll probably be in luck!  

 

©All images and content are copyright Kneadwhine and should not be reproduced without permission in any circumstances. Copyright 2011-2016 Knead Whine |